Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beats Working...

Messing around with Buzz Boxes is definitely more fun than the stuff I'm supposed to be working on. But it's sort of work anyway, right?

So here's my latest creation. It's based on our out-of-the-box Paging template, but I ran the post descriptions through the Yahoo Term Extraction Service and then highlighted all the phrases that came out of it (they're bold and have a dashed underline). I'm not really sure if I like it, but it is neat. Plus I think it's my first "mashup". I'm only about 2 years behind the trendiness curve on that one. :)



Obviously it's less polished than the photo rotator, but then it's only got about an hour into it, as opposed to ten (and counting...) for the rotator.

Tangentially, it occurs to me that you could view this whole Buzz Box thing as a big tool for doing RSS mashups. Basically we just give you a convenient way to get RSS feeds into the browser, without having to worry about all the crazy variations in the feeds themselves. Plus we let you shove together posts from dozens of different feeds without having to retrieve all of them. Just a thought.

Oh, and here's the script block for that box:
<script src="http://nmp.newsgator.com/NGBuzz/Buzz.ashx?buzzId=1261&apiToken=5794F1DD78914D309271BC2690200847" type="text/javascript" language="javascript"></script>

No comments: