Saturday, April 03, 2010

Lightroom Color Mismatch

(Note: If you don’t use Photoshop and Lightroom on Windows don’t read this. You’ll be really bored and annoyed that you wasted your time.)

I just solved a problem with Lightroom that’s been bugging the heck out of me for a couple of weeks. Maybe I can help someone else if they have the same problem – and there’s a good chance that’ll be me in about 6 months when I’ve forgotten about this.

The problem was that the colors I’d see in Lightroom and Photoshop just did not match. Not even close. I wandered around the web and tried many solutions, such as ensuring that they’re using the same color space (ProPhoto) and making sure the Proof Colors setting was turned off in Photoshop. I tried reprofiling the monitor a few times, even though that shouldn’t affect colors shown on the same computer and screen.

The solution was in my Windows Color Management control panel. I had a profile in there which had been created by my Huey color profiler – but it wasn’t being used. I used the first pane to set that profile as the default, and under the Advanced tab set that profile as the Device Profile. Restart Lightroom and voila – perfect match.

All I can figure is that Lightroom doesn’t pick up the profile for some reason, while Photoshop does. Go figure.

1 comment:

nicki0731 said...

I wouldn't exactly say boring. In fact, I think I am going to try and use Huey color profiler in a sentence today. (Most likely incorrectly.)