Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just Getting There

It’s been almost a month since my Mesa Verde trip. I think I’ve let the photos marinate long enough now – they do take quite a while to attain the flavor I’m looking for.

It’s about 400 miles to Mesa Verde. There’s lots of great scenery along the way, but by far the most beautiful was the pass above Ouray. The mountains are striking colors, and covered with lush vegetation. There are also hundreds of old mines around, many dating back to the 19th century. The area has produced millions of tons of ore over the years.

At the top of the pass I took a brief stop near this old mining building. The tailings from mines have turned the river bed a striking rust orange. Remediation efforts are underway, but it will take a lot of time.

Apparently I was not the first person to stop there. Good to know that Jesse been here too!

In the end it took about nine hours to get there. I just barely had time to book tours for the next day and set up camp. Tomorrow I’ll start on the photos from the park itself.

No comments: