Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pictura Per Diem

I've been an amateur photographer for a while, but I haven't really been keeping up with it lately. In an effort to get back into it a bit I've decided to try to start taking at least one picture every day. I'm not sure how well this will work out, since I spend most of my time between home and work. I might end up taking a lot of really crappy pictures and subject you poor people to them. But I'm hoping that it'll force me to be a little more observant, a little more creative, and perhaps a bit more flexible. With a little luck it might make a good reason to get out of my rut, at least far enough to get a decent shot :)

The rules I've created for myself:

  1. I won't post more than one picture from a given day. You wouldn't really want to see more than that anyway.

  2. Editing will be kept to a minimum - cropping, and maybe a bit of brightness correction. No airbrushing unless I'm really bored that day. Any digital editing I do will be noted.

  3. If I really just don't have anything even remotely viewable, I won't inflict it on you.

  4. The world already has too many pictures of flowers (some of them done by me). So no more of that.



I was going to call this little venture Picture A Day, but I think we can all agree that's a lame name. I figured Latin makes anything sound sophisticated (or at least snooty), hence the name Pictura Per Diem. And now, enough of the overly long introduction, and now on to the first Pictura.


I took this on my way to work Thursday morning. I just like the bright splash of the yellow car at the end of the alley. Pretty simple really. I wish I could've gotten rid of the rest of the clutter, maybe done something with depth of field, but my little compact pocketcam just isn't up to it.


Editing: Cropped (brutally), highlight/midtone/shadow adjusted

No comments: